Saturday, July 28, 2012

Motivational Eating

In a recent facebook discussion I asked what some of you guys would like me to talk about on here so one subject that seemed to generate a lot of interest were some healthy meal ideas. So that and an answer to a question I get asked quite often is my subject for today. The million dollar question "Where do you get your motivation and HOW do you keep it?" The first time I was asked this I was kind of thrown for a loop, I mean doesn't everyone want to change their body to some degree? Then something dawned on me and it is something I have been meaning to touch on...not everyone has enough time in the day as it is much less finding the time to work out. SO first things first- DO WHAT YOU CAN. If you only have time to work out on your two off days a week, guess what those two days are a heck of a lot better than zero days of working out. To my readers who work full time, go to school, or do both my props go to you! It is all I can do to take care of two girls, keep my house clean, laundry going, do my own learning and research for personal training and still get my work out in amongst all my other army wife and general wifely duties. My motivation came from being tired of not being happy with what I saw in the mirror. I started with small changes. I picked a day on the calendar and said this will be the day I start to switch my focus. I started making small changes, traded in my nightly glass of wine for only one night of wine a week. I switched my sugary cereals for special K or Kashi brand cereals. I started working out for thirty to forty five minutes a day. In the beginning I would pause my DVDs probably every ten minutes to catch my breath, but the important thing is I never gave up. Now I do those same DVDs without stopping once and normally adding an additional cross fit work out or run to them. The point is, small consistent changes are going to be what works. It is a lifestyle not something that is going to change or come naturally over night. I personally never cared for sodas so that wasn't a challenge to me but sweet tea was a big favorite of mine. I cut it out and switched solely to water and coffee. Again all these things are just examples of what worked for me. If I feel sluggish or want to skip out on a gym routine I normally go on pinterest to look at some motivating pictures and quotations to get me amped up and in the mood. I wanted to see the difference in myself and once I did I was encouraged to keep pushing to see how much I could change. It is important to set realistic short term and long term goals and journal if it helps, you will be amazed at how far you come even emotionally.

Now that you guys know where my motivation comes from, I want to give you an example of my snacks and dinner meals. for lunch and breakfast I am a cereal addict. I love Kashi cereals, steel oats oatmeal with some all natural peanut butter added, or of course my protein shakes. I am on the go with the kids a lot so sometimes it is just about grabbing a protein bar and handful of almonds. Just remember to put the healthy stuff at easy access, pack your lunches divide up your snacks into baggies so all you have to do is grab them and go :) With that here are a few of my staple recipes I make through out my week and please let me know what you think! Finally Remember that no food is perfect, you are going to have lots of protein in some but not much fiber or lots of fiber but a lot of carbs. The thing to always keep present in your mind is what does your body need....have you had an ample amount of protein today? Do you need some natural sugar because you have had nothing but protein today? Feeling sluggish? Have you had your fair share of healthy carbs yet? It is alllllllll about BALANCE :)Here is a cool little tool to use to determine if something has enough of each nutrient Fat (yes you NEED healthy fat), protein and carbs. Cheat Sheet Happy eating guys :)


                        Snacks

Homemade Hummus- takes two cans of garbanzo beans and blend them until creamy add lime juice and seasonings as you desire. My personal favorites are either cumin or red pepper for a spicier version OR garlic and onion powder for a more traditional tasting hummus. It is super simple and very quick. Once you blend, season, and taste to your perfection chill it in the refrigerator to use through out the week for snacks or to add into meals.

Homemade Guacamole- Blend two ripened avocados until smooth and creamy add some lime juice so it does not turn brown right away also for some seasonings I always add Goya Adobo (you can find ad any wal mart near you )to all my recipes it is a perfect seasoning for any and everything. Sometimes I also get a little more adventurous and add some corn and black beans into mine. Also great for use in salads, wraps or just to dip with pita chips or tortillas.

Fresh Fruit and cheese- an easy way to have a great fiber and protein packed snack is wash and precut all your fruit and cheese for the week. Have it stored in separate Tupperware and pack it for lunches or pull it out to snack on when you are in a hurry.

Homemade Healthy Ranch and Onion dip- Take a packet of hidden valley ranch or any brand of ranch seasoning or French onion soup mix and a container of no fat Greek yogurt and mix it together for a great protein rich dip for veggies or to use in recipes.

Cucumbers and Vinegar- Slice up cucumbers and pour some apple cider vinegar and Lite soy sauce in a tuber ware container, throw in the cucumbers and let them sit to soak up the flavor add a little salt and pepper and you have a great appetizer or side dish for dinner.


                                    Meals
Day 1- Hummus Wraps
What you will need: Hummus (recipe above in snacks), Corn tortillas, chopped veggies of your choice, ground turkey OR grilled chicken.
Take your corn tortillas and spread hummus on them like any other sauce you would use, add your meat whether it be seasoned grilled chicken or ground turkey (you can also use shrimp or fish), add whatever vegetables you prefer (I prefer corn, black beans, sometimes onions) wrap it up like a burrito and there you have a protein filled, fiber filled, low fat filling dinner.

Day 2 Grilled fish, Steamed Edamame, and Baked Sweet Potato
This is a simple time savvy meal. Take Tilapia or any white fish you prefer. Season it with a little onion powder and garlic salt and pan sere it, which takes maybe eight minutes. While you are doing that boil some water and throw in a bag of Edamame to steam, and throw a microwavable sweet potato in the mix too. When your edamame is done drain the water and put some sea salt in it take the sweet potato out and use some non fat vanilla yogurt to sweeten it and make it creamy. Put it all on a plate and you are good to go!

Day 3 Healthy Enchilladas
What you will need – Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, fat free shredded cheese, corn tortillas and Greek yogurt or non-fat cream cheese
In the morning take our your chicken and season it and let it sit through out the day to marinate. Then for more flavor you can grill it or pan sere it. Or if you are pressed for time you can also boil it. Once it is cooked put it in a food processor of some sort, I use a magic bullet and blend it until it is shredded but still moist. I then add a little more seasoning and some lime juice and blend it with the fat free cheese. I preheat the oven to three fifty and stuff the corn tortillas with the chicken and cheese mixture. Once the pan is filled with the enchiladas I heat the Greek yogurt or fat free cream cheese in the pan the chicken was cooked in adding a little more flavor and then drizzle over top of the enchiladas to add more flavor and juice to the mixture. Then cover with the rest of the fat free shredded cheese and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.

Day 4 Pasta Tacos What you will need: Whole-wheat pasta (manicotti, shells or lasagna noodles), taco seasoning, ground turkey, Greek yogurt, and fat free cheddar cheese.
Boil your Whole Wheat Manicotti or While wheat pasta shells (if you can not find these you can also take wheat lasagna noodles and cut them in half and wrap them around to make them have the same effect.) while you are boiling the pasta take your ground turkey try to find the 98 percent fat free kind the less fat the better. Cook the meat in the pan and add the taco seasoning and a little bit of Greek yogurt to make it creamy. Stuff the pasta shells and add some ff cheddar cheese, place in the pan and cover with remaining fat free cheddar and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Day 5 Turkey Bacon Wrapped Ranch Chicken Bake
What you will need: Boneless Skinless chicken tenderloins, turkey bacon, ranch dressing (recipe in snacks)
Take your chicken and dip it into the ranch dip to get it seasoned and coated then take a piece of turkey bacon and wrap it length wise around the chicken; pan sere it back and forth until chicken is golden brown and bacon is cooked. Very easy and quick but very tasty and full of protein.

Day 6- Healthy Pizza
Take a whole wheat pizza crust which you can find already pre made at most grocery stores, add no sugar added marinara sauce and fat free mozzarella and fat free cheddar cheese. Other great add ons are turkey pepperoni, turkey sausage, onions, green peppers, banana peppers, and tomatoes. Bake according to the directions on the crust package.

Day 7-Healthy Taco Salad
What you will need: Ground Turkey, grilled chicken breasts, avocado, fat free cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, fat free sour cream, black beans, corn, all natural blue corn tortilla chips.
Obviously the majority of the ingredients are optional. Choose your meat grilled chicken or cooked ground turkey and add your favorite veggies, corn and black beans have a great source of fiber, your fat free cheeses are a good source of protein, and your veggies will add nutrition and color throw in the all natural tortilla chips for a little crunchy-ness and you are done!  

No comments:

Post a Comment