Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Busy but Healthy


Hello blogger world :) Things have been crazy as usual these past few weeks. I have the exciting announcement that my husband is officially in company command and I have taken over the company FRG which has already led to meetings and BBQ's and we also got to have my two brother in laws and mother and father in law in town with us this past weekend to celebrate my husband's change of command. With all this excitement there has been lots of temptation to eat bad and skip out on work outs but I wanted to share how I kicked the temptation and stayed on track. Here are a few pictures of my family and I from this weeks past events.



I read a little inspirational quote the other day that stated "It may suck not being able to eat your favorite foods all the time, but it sucks more to be stuck in a body you hate." So while I would have loved to dive into the ribs my mother in law cooked or the turtle brownies at my husbands reception, I knew that for me it was best to stick to what I know is best. I ate off of the fruit and veggie trays there was some subs to which i ate the cheese and meat off of them and left the bread out. Though I was exhausted and it was well into the 90s i pushed myself to go on a three mile run and managed to maintain a 7:20 mile pace, a personal best. The point is if you are determined to stay on track you will make it work. A few things I have personally found to work are very basic tricks I stand by. If you are having/ going to a party or BBQ bring something that is healthy and you know you enjoy, this weekend we had a BBQ and I made a corn, black bean, and avocado salsa that was delicious to me and also my favorite snack is watermelon hands down, therefore munching on these made it much easier for me not to fall off my healthy wagon.

There are so many fad diets out there that have you follow a certain regiment of what you can eat and what you can't eat. I personally feel I have tried everything out there and have found one thing to be true. "Allow yourself to eat everything but not a lot of anything." Meaning keep your options open don't limit yourself to a point where you feel restricted, but don't over indulge yourself. Remember your waist line and abs are eighty percent made up of your diet. I use to not believe this until I went on a little experimental diet. Though my calories were in the same range and I still maintained my exercise I could see a vast improvement in my physique when i ate clean and whole, as to eating processed. There have been many studies done on processed foods and high fructose corn syrup, and all of it comes out the same when your body is not doing the work of breaking down the food because it has already been processed and broken down by short cuts such as HFCS, your body suffers. It does not receive the proper nutrition and you often end up feeling sluggish and off kilter because of the chemicals from these foods.

"Eat for your long term future, not your short term satisfaction." another favorite of mine, there are always different ways to spice up your snacks and meals. I love salty and sweet snacks some recent ideas I have found, mixing your protein powder with some coconut oil and melting it over air popped popcorn, or soaking your almonds in water then dusting them with your favorite protein powder and baking them. Powdered peanut butter is also a great addition to either of these ideas. It all comes down to variation and creativity. Summer time is a great time to try new ideas just last year I started mixing strawberries and blueberries into my salads to add some color because it was fresh and in season.

Another reminder to drink that water!! The less your body has the more it retains making you bloated and dehydrated, the more you drink the more your body releases and the lighter and better you will feel.  I know with children, school, work, household chores and everything else we have going on in life it is easy to give up or skip on our work outs. Everyday I want to skip I make myself work harder or longer to remember why I do this. and why this is important to me. You never know what you are capable of until you push yourself to the limit of exhaustion. I love to sweat, I love to feel the burn and pain in my muscles, I love to feel my heart rate soaring and know I am accomplishing something. YOU have to make the difference in YOUR body, no diet, no pill, no magic shake or exercise machine is going to do it for you. Nothing worth having comes easy, and that includes those size 2 jeans :) God Bless and keep rocking it until next time- Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment