Thursday, May 17, 2012

Getting back to the basics

Well, it has been a few days since my last update, my life has been a bit crazy recently. As my husband and I prepare for our departure of TN and move onward to our new post we have lots of preparing to do for us and our little ones. Recently though I have had one issue that keeps coming to my mind that I feel I should address. Getting back to the basics. And speaking of basics I wanted to show you guys my  three most important basics a little picture of me and my family from this weekend :)



So, what does this getting back to the basics mean exactly, well how many times a year do we say, "I am going on a diet" or "It is time for me to start working out again?" Sometimes too many to count. A wise person once said "If you are tired of starting over, stop giving up." So much about a woman's self esteem comes from her physical appearance that we often forget where beauty begins. With in ourselves we all have hopes and dreams, some of us dream to be a size zero some of us dream just to run a mile without stopping, no matter what it may be we all want to strive to be somewhere better than where we are at now. Ultimately you are the one in control of your body and your fitness level but there are a few rescources and tips that I can offer to help get you to where you want to be.

First and foremost you have to evaluate your relationship with food and with fitness. Often times we lean on food as a comfort or a feel good scource. Once you starting "eating to live, versus living to eat" you will find temptation for those unhealthy snacks less and less. Your body runs on what we provide it, hence you wouldn't put regular gas in a luxury vehicle you would put premium right? It can be more expensive but in the long run your car will run better be more fuel efficient, and require less maintenance. Our bodies are the same way. If you start feeding your body based on how you want it to run you will feel much more inclined to get in the gym versus being sluggish and unmotivated. When I was 20 I moved to Houston, TX for a job and for the first time was truly on my own. With a tight budget and working 60 hour work weeks plus going to school my diet consisted of drive through dollar menu, raman noodles, and lots of coffee. I stayed sick, always had a cold or strep throat, rarely had energy to do anything physical and wanted nothing but to sleep on my down time. I look back now and realize my nutrition was atrotious and was only fueling my fatigue instead of helping it.

Another thing I want to encourage is to switch up your routine, muscle confusion is the best way to keep your body working. For years I though I could calcualate my weight based on the calorie counter on the machines at the gym. While some of them swear they are accurate, I truly believe noone can calculate the exact number of calories they burn a day or in a work out. Each body is unique each person has a different metabolism, a difference muscle to fat percentage, and different measurements; at the end of the day there is no one exercise fits all calorie counter. I now do not look at the calories on a machine but check my heart rate, first to make sure I am pushing myself to my limit, and second to make sure I am not pushing so hard that I am burning muscle. Always remember everything you do even sleeping requires energy and calories from the body so even if it is taking ten minutes out of your day to go walk around the block , then do it!  The main "basic" rule to always live by is making this a life choice not a temporary fix. You don't want to go back to your old eating habbits right? You don't want to get out of shape and have to start from the beginning again right?

Never let your scale dictate your mood. More often times than not you are losing inches instead of weight because your muscles are increasing in size and burning fat away. Know your downfalls and try to come up with a way to combat them, if you know you have a weakness for sweets try and not put them in the house, or find a recipe for healthy oatmeal and dark chocolate cookies with fiber in them that way your children don't neccesarily have to be deprived but you also aren't consuming nothing but proccessed sugars. There is always a way around temptation and always a substitution for a craving. Be bigger than your temptation. Lastly find an accountability partner. They do wonders! If you need a friend to call and make sure you are up do it if you need someone to keep you accountable with a work out journal and or weigh ins with inches do it! I personally would love to help any and everyone I can please feel free to emal me and ask me to help you I would love it :) Never forget first and fore most your beauty is who you are, not what controls you, not what you see in the mirror, but who Jesus Christ himself created you to be. Until next time- Amanda

=

No comments:

Post a Comment