Thursday, April 26, 2012

Overcoming fatigue, time restraints, and other excuses not to work out.

Life can be crazy for everyone. Between forty hour work weeks, children, laundry, making dinner, packing lunches, and every other thing on your to do list it may seem impossible to ever fit in a work out. This is where time management and dedication are going to come into play.

While we were stationed in Colorado it was too cold for me to walk or run outside normally and I worked 40 minutes away from home causing me to often put off the gym after work. One thing I realized was that if I didn't put in the effort or make the decision to get the time in to work out it just simply was not going to appear. I started setting my alarm for 5:30 am and would work out, shower and change at the gym and head to work from there. The point to this story is that where there is a will to change there is a way to find time.

I often try to work my work outs around my children and their sleeping patterns, but just like my kids that can often be unpredictable. If one is down I can get the other in the jogging stroller and take off for a good 45 mins. I also am fortunate enough that my two year old loves to "wokout" with mama so she will normally stand with me and imitate my moves if I do Insanity or Tae Bo. If she is down I lay my four month down and let her play on a blanket while I squeeze in a work out. Also I always try to plan ahead. If I know we have a busy day with appointments or that nap time is going to be touch and go I will make myself get up around 6 to get my work out in before they wake up for the day.

The most common excuse next to not having time to work out is fatigue. Fortunately the best medicine for being tired is working out. It energizes your brain and body and releases endorphins that make us more alert and over all put us in a better mood. I have also been told many times that a person doesn't go to a gym because they don't feel comfortable or that they can not afford it. There have been times in my life where I have related to both of these responses. The best advice I can give you in these situations are work out DVDs. There are a vast variety of them out there these days and even if you can't find one that holds your attention , I have yet another idea for you! Put on your favorite music, turn it up and break it down! No matter how silly you feel you are in the comfort of your own home! It will be a great cardio work out and will get your heart pumping. Finish out with some classic jumping jacks, planks and squats and you've had an excellent work out!!

I know it can be frustrating to try and find the time and resources to work out but with enough determination I PROMISE you can find a way to burn some calories. Even if you get your heart rate up for just 20 minutes, that is 20 more minutes than you did yesterday right?! Until next time stay positive and find your own personal groove that helps you burn calories! - Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, i just had my 3rd baby girl in less than 3 years. I did always consider myself to be athletic but had a high risk pregnancy with the first one and stopped any sort of workout routine since that time. I didnt even come off of my pregnancy profile in between children so the last record PT test i have is from october 2008. I am in a wedding.g in 1 month and want to be able to max my PT test in 6 months. I was telling my sister this and she told me to read your blog for motivation. All this to say thanks for entering the blogging world and motivating me:)
    Jessica (kilpatrick) melin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Jess!! So glad to hear from you, hope all is well and I will be praying for you and your family. You can def max that test girl, have you ever done crossfit?? its amazing to help with PT tests!! let me know if I can help in any other way God Bless :)

      Delete