Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Don't Stop Believing!

"Ok I am a huge fan of the popular show Glee. Yes, I know I am a Gleek, but there version of the ever famous song made famous by Journey, "Don't Stop Believing" is my go to song when I need motivation. You are probably thinking how is this relevant at all to my normal subject matter, let me explain.

My "lifestyle" change is an every day challenge. Each day I have to push myself, whether it be to make self controlled decisions on what I eat, or to make time to work out between bottles and nap times. It is a conscious choice I have to make myself complete. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely have days I fall off the train, and that is the point of this blog.

The first thing to remember is that if you deprive yourself of everything you love and are used to you are setting yourself up for failure. I began by letting myself have one cheat meal a week, and by this I don't mean go to McDonalds and order the largest fry and big mac you can. Still keep yourself in moderation and still try to make smart decisions. For example if you are craving a hamburger, that is fine just order the kids meal to get your fill. That way you are indulging your craving but you are not going overboard in your portions, causing you to ruin all your hard work for the week.

Another principle I live by is substitutions. I love love love me some peanut butter, so instead of cutting it out of my diet I switched to all natural peanut butter and instead of eating it on bread I put it on apples or carrots. If you have a weakness for chocolate, try drinking a protein shake in chocolate, OR try some "No Pudge" brownie mix made with non fat vanilla yogurt and organic mix. There ARE healthy alternatives out there to help you get through your unhealthy urges.

Finally I want to encourage you. You will not see results over night or maybe for the first few weeks, but that doesn't mean you are not making a difference. You didn't gain your weight over night and your not going to lose it over night. Nothing in life that is worth having comes easily and that includes a healthy shaped body. Discipline and hard work are going to be your best friends during this journey. Journey is the key word, don't focus on the big picture all the time. Set small goals for yourself, lose three to five pounds this month and focus on your short term goals. Eventually they will add up to your big picture goal. Enjoy your journey, take time to get to know yourself through this process, and build yourself up on your small accomplishments. You passed up the donuts at work today? HECK YES!! That is a big deal! If you fail or make a mistake do NOT beat yourself up. Even the fitness models and movie stars have to cheat sometimes right? Until next time keep pushing yourself and keep BELIEVING in yourself! And if you are feeling a little down...Check out this link ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WxPyUzWSPA&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. That last paragraph was exactly what I needed to hear this morning!!! THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete